Mimi and her girls

Mimi and her girls
Mimi and her girls

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Darn, I Must Be Terrific, I Got Ripped Off on Alibaba

Any of you who know me, even just on line, know I am pretty laid back when it comes to my philosophy on original jewelry designs. My feeling is, jewelry has been around for thousands of years and it really is pretty rare to see a completely new design. It's mostly all been done before and what we see are the artists interpretation that makes it unique to them. Just go to any art museum and watch young artists copying the masters (or trying to). They say copying is normal for someone just learning, they copy the designs, the technique etc and eventually find their own artistic voice. We've all copied something sometimes that pleased us and was not our original idea- I'm ok with that.
What I'm not ok with is some sweat factory seller in China who steals my photos right out of my Etsy shop listing, complete with watermark and says they are their designs and make my item out of junk materials to boot.
Ripped off on Alibaba
 http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/795681516/14K_Gold_Filled_Pearl_Ring_Engagement.html

Oh- and this is my Original
Solid gold, not gold plated- the seller somehow wiped out my watermark on the main photo but all the other photos in my Etsy shop, they left complete with my shop name All Wired Up Jewelry Designs on Etsy.

Hey, I'm right up there now with Ralph Lauren, Tiffanys and a multitude of others- so I guess instead of feeling like I have really been violated- I should celebrate that someone liked my design so much they decided to add me to the long list of artists that have knock offs made of their fabulous work!

So today I am celebrating, I must be great, terrific and astounding- I got ripped off and there really isn't much I can do about it but share with you so you know - it can happen to anyone!

2 comments:

  1. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post!!! Like it. This pearl ring is very beautiful, looks so pretty, I wish I have this ring.

    ReplyDelete